Thursday, May 19, 2016

Working with Seniors - Flow (Part 2 of 3)

Wow, I did not think that I would enjoy myself in May Project as much as I currently am, and I am actually feeling pretty sad that I am leaving, so I might volunteer a few more hours before I start work this summer. The employees that work here have such a genuine love for what they do here, and I have a hilarious time conversing with them about the actions and mannerisms of various residents and helping them engage with and organize activities for some of the most elderly and impaired residents; on a similar note, my fellow volunteers and I have bonded so well in our work and our long lunch breaks, and I feel like I have made some friends (within mere weeks!) from other schools, Vianney and Ursuline, and gotten to know one of our own classmates, Corrine Condie, so much better, and I am always excited to talk about and participate in events with these people. The level at which several of the elderly folks here function has also frequently surprised and impressed me, as I have consistently had conversations with residents in their nineties and above, who remain sharp and thoughtful, even as their bodies degrade at a much higher rate than their minds, which, admittedly, is depressing to see, but also interesting and truly real and genuine to experience. For example, while many of the elderly have a natural tendency to become more self-focused and really selfish as their minds decline and they become less cognizant of the needs of those around them, so many of them when asked what how the facility could be improved (I surveyed residents the other day), would complain about the quality or number of staff or the quality or variety of food, there are a small number of more humble and keen and grounded residents who would reply something as enlightened as "It would be difficult for me to say how this facility could be improved, and whether it meets my standards for success. The only way for them to be able to improve is for them to look at themselves and determine whether they meet their own standards for success," or something like that. The ninety-eight year old man said it in much better terms though, in my opinion, and I left our meeting genuinely wishing for this man to be my teacher! I appreciate my experience so far here, and I feel that I will miss this place much more than I was expecting to when I leave (similar to JBS), as some of the people here are so inspiring and interesting and energized that I am truly excited to go to work and just talk and be there for so many interesting people, and get complimented a lot by old ladies, which always helps, but honestly, within just two weeks, I have gotten into a flow and rhythm, and I have spoken to several residents and made friends with some of my favorite residents, and worked in almost every part of the building--maintenance, nursing, activities--and I will miss it all.

- ya boy Zach S

1 comment:

  1. Zach,

    I am so glad to hear that you are enjoying your project and getting a lot out of it. I look forward to your last post. It always makes me happy when people want to keep volunteering past the end of the project - means it has been a great experience! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete